30 octubre 2006

Mitad del Mundo

Yesterday I went to the equator. Below is a picture of me standing in two hemispheres at once. I went with my Ecaudorian family for the day to see the sights, listen to some traditional music and eat some good Ecuadorian food.In this picture, Magui is on the right, silly. The sun is so strong here because of the altitude and because we are on the equator, so we all wore hats.
The next picture is Magui's little grandson, Jose Milio. He is so precious! It's good to have a little one around since I only see my nieces on the web cam. The other day I was walking down the street holding him and people thought he was my baby because his skin is so light. His mom thought that was pretty funny.

On Sunday afternoons at the "Mitad del Mundo," "The Middle of the World," there are traditional dancers. The family kept telling me to go join the dancing--they love to joke with me!Also last week I went to the local zoo and saw some of the animals that are indigenous to Ecuador. I also now have two new English students and more people have contacted me about classes. So it seems like things are picking up. This week most of my friends from the hostel are heading to other countries so that will be about it for speaking English. I have made a few local friends, so I have people to hang out with, but making good friends takes time--especially in a foreign language. For those of you interested in sending cards, letters, packages, money, peanut butter, etc. here is a good mailing address:

Miranda Runcie
Apartado 17-21-431
Eloy Alfaro, Quito
Ecuador

It's an organization call the South American Explorers club and I'm a member so they will hold any mail for me there. It generally takes awhile for mail to get here, so if you send something and don't hear from me about it, it will probably be here in another week or two. You can always let me know when you've sent something so I can be on the lookout. Thanks for reading and for your comments--I love the support and encouragement from friends and family!

10 Comments:

Blogger TheGlissonFamily said...

It was good to talk to you today. I'm glad you had a good time with your family at the equator--it looks like it was fun. I hope you get many more students to help you enjoy your time there. Love you, Bek

2:21 p. m.  
Blogger Conni H. said...

Is there anything from the United States that you wish you could get in Ecuador? (Besides family and friends...)I mean can you buy everything you want there?

9:54 p. m.  
Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

Well while you have been gone:

1. The Cardinals won the World Series!

2. Stevie Haupt got married last weekend.

3. Your mom and dad spend more time in Nashville these days.

Which way do toilets flush if they are exactly on the equator?

Thanks for your posts and your address. You are prayed for regularly.

God bless,

11:14 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

What great adventures you're having! We can't wait to see and experience the beauties of the Andes with you and meet your Ecuadorian family! We love you and miss you sweet Miranda!

10:23 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

It was wonderful to hear your voice yesterday. Your courage and adventuresome nature is inspiring. Love you, cute show.

~Heidi

10:46 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Hi Sweetie..you sure are getting to see the world!! good to hear you are getting more students. Do they celebrate Halloween there? We only had 4 kids tonite!! Talked with your Mama today. Today was your Grandpa McAllisters birthday..he would have been 99...I thot' 100 until I realized he had been born in 1907. Be careful and have fun...Love you, Lanie

7:59 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Hi sweet cakes!!! Loved all the pic's and comments! I check your blog almost every day! I can't believe you are soooo far away! I miss you and wish I could give you a big hug. Instead I'll send you a care package this weekend. Take care sweetie! I love you! Kiss, kiss!!

8:05 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

I am so envious!

10:47 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Miranda, I love catching up with you. I am so proud of you and your courage!!!! The boys and I are putting a package together for you and will get it in the mail by Nov.3rd so be on the watch....
We pray for you daily and know you are being a bright light!!
Love, Mark,Julie(patrick),Noah and Jacob Delashaw.

11:09 a. m.  
Blogger Becky said...

You sound like you are doing great!!! I love the pics! We miss you here, but are so proud of you!!! Lots of love from St. Louis!!!1

11:13 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home


Web Site Counter