26 julio 2006

why ecuador?

~this first entry is just an overview of my thought process in deciding what to do after graduating from truman state university this past may. i'll expand on some points later.~

about a year and a half ago i came back from a semester in seville, spain. i was a different person. of course i hadn't changed completely, but some of my life goals had changed. that's pretty serious. i came back from spain totally in love with spanish culture--especially the language. from that time on i knew that learning spanish fluently was going to be a top priority for me. at first i thought about returning to spain, but i had already done the whole europe thing (a couple times). so i started looking into central and south america for possibilities. i knew that if i really wanted to learn spanish i would need to live in a spanish speaking country for at least six months--and maybe more. after months of looking at websites and reading articles and talking to people i decided that ecuador (quito) was the place for me. here are some reasons why:

- it's a small country, but it has a lot to offer. in one day you can go from beaches to mountains to amazon rain forest.
- quito is a perfect-sized city (about 1 million people).
- the average year-round temperature of quito is about 70 degrees (no more kirksville cold!).
- the tallest active volcano in the world, cotopaxi, is there (i'm taking baby steps--rainier, cotopaxi, everest???).
- the equator runs right through the country (you can balance an egg on it and watch water drain the opposite way on either side).
- ecuador's currency is the american dollar so i won't lose money in the exchange (but it does seem sad that our presidents are on their money...).
- english teachers are in high demand--which brings me to what i'll be doing down there.

my plans so far are to fly to quito on september 1 and stay at a hostel for the first two weeks (maybe more). while i'm getting to know the city i'll look for places to volunteer and work. i hope to volunteer in an orphanage for a couple months and then when i start to run out of money i'll get a job teaching english (right now i'm working on my certification). that's my "plan" as of now. i also hope to visit friends in peru and chile.
above is the hostel, the secret garden, where i'll be staying my first couple of weeks. check out the hammocks. and the mountains. my kind of place. below is a plaza in quito. in a few months i'll probably know a lot more about it. for now it's just a pretty picture to show you where i'll be. in the future i'll feature my own photos.
if you would, please keep me in your prayers. although i love adventures like this, the unknown can still be a little intimidating. i know (from previous experience) that i can't do this on my own. thanks for reading. i'll keep you posted.

14 Comments:

Blogger TheGlissonFamily said...

Este blog ha sido eliminado por un administrador de blog.

9:35 a. m.  
Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

We will keep you lifted up in our prayers. Do they not use capital letters in spanish? :-) Love the pictures! I hope that you will keep us all posted on your blog of how things are going.

God bless,

6:56 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

May the Lord walk beside you in your new adventure! Will certainly be checking to see how things are going after you arrive in Quito! It looks BEAUTIFUL!
Lou Stevens, Houston, TX.
P.S. In case you don't recognize the name, I am Brad's Mama! :0)

8:14 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Todo me suena muy chévere.

2:35 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Hi my friend, I wish all the good luck for you and I know you will win everything you want because you are very strong woman. Off course I'll pray for you too, but if God show this door is because will be fantastic for you "new life".
God Bless You

6:45 a. m.  
Blogger Becky said...

That's so great Miranda! You are so brave! Not many people would be willing to do what you are doing... I can't wait to hear your stories and see your pictures! Many blessings and prayers to you! We will miss you here!

4:56 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

You will be in my prayers daily and you begin this new adventure. You are a very special young lady of God and serving so well. I love you. Ms. Jan

6:00 p. m.  
Blogger Conni H. said...

Miranda-
We will be thinking and praying for you. You have a lot of courage to be doing something so adventurous. Have a great time, and make sure to keep your blog up to date!

6:33 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Miranda,
It is me, your cousin Sunny. I can't believe how much you are doing. I can't wait to hear and see all about it. I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts. I am so proud of all you are acomplishing. Thank you for sharing with us. I love you!!!

9:40 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Miranda - Today as I am hearing of many who are getting their college students off for another year, I am thinking of you, getting ready for somethine WAY beyond that! What an adventure is in store for you! We will be praying for all aspects of this, but mainly that you will be an instrument used in this special way for God's purpose for your life. May he bless you with safety and whatever other ways HE chooses. Love you, Phyllis Haynes

11:34 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Hey Miranda, I think what you are doing is really cool. We will be praying for God to use you and to keep you in his hand. We will keep up with you through your blog. Can't wait to hear what you will be doing. The following is an e-mail I recieved from a friend of mine that has a lot of contacts in Central and South America. I asked him if he could give me some contacts for you to use if you needed to. His name is Billy Loft. Just mention his name and any of the people mentioned will help you. Thought I would pass it along. Your cousin Kent.


I knew Bill and Karleen when they were missionaries in the Dominican Republic… Now they are with Team Expansion and are working with a team of Americans in Ecuador… his e-mail address is Bcrandall@TeamExpansion.org… They live in Guayaquil, Ecuador…



In Quito there is a family working with the Christian Radio Station there… John and Kathy Beck… HC1QH@yahoo.com….

8:17 p. m.  
Blogger Amanda Tate said...

yeah i found it! sounds sweet mrn, i'm excited for you!

11:26 p. m.  
Blogger hannah said...

so glad I got to see you tonight, and after talking about your upcoming year...I'm like, why didn't I think of that?! No doubt the Lord is going to bless you in so many ways. I can't wait to hear about your adventures! Maybe I need to visit beautiful Ecuador too... need a skydiving buddy? :) Keep in touch Miranda! Prayers for you! -hannstevens@gmail.com-

12:13 a. m.  
Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

Dear Miranda,

Time for an update! Inquiring minds want to know what is Equador like?

We are praying for you!

5:38 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home


Web Site Counter