08 septiembre 2006

Quito Bonito

Hello from Ecuador. I´m finally here after a long day of traveling on Wednesday. I arrived in Quito around 9:00 wed. night and went straight to the hostel. the volunteer on duty showed me around the place and showed me where i´d be staying. my room is called ¨the cave¨because there are no windows, but past volunteers have painted lovely murals on the wall, so it´s not so bad--hey, it´s free. thursday morning i went to a museum with some girls from the hostel to see the work of a famous ecaudorian painter, guayasamin...i think. then, thurs. afternoon at 3 i started my first shift. i´ll be working at the secret garden for at least a month. it´s a good deal for me because even though the shifts are 8 hours, 6 days a week, i get free food, bed and spanish lessons. and i automatically get to meet people. so i´m glad the volunteer position worked out. the people i´ve met have encouraged me by telling me that there will be no problem for me to get a job teaching english. so after the hostel, my next step will be teaching or volunteering depending on my money situation.

on another note, quito is beautiful. it´s surrounded by mountains and so far the weather has been amazing--sunny, blue sky and 70 degrees. the view from the hostel´s 5th floor terrace is gorgeous, and it´s the view i get all day while i´m at work.

i haven´t had time yet to walk around the city and see much, but there´s plenty of time. i´m living in the old town, the colonial part, which is the most beautiful and safe part of the city. the new town is where many tourists stay. so i´m happy to be situated in the ¨best¨part of town.

i will have pictures soon...i promise. i was waiting to write a first blog until i had pictures, but i decided on a whim to write a bit. so hopefully this will tide you over until i get pictures. thanks for reading, and as they say at the secret garde, ¨cheers!¨ (many of the travelers who stay there are from austrailia). and as they say in ecuador (or any spanish speaking country) ¨hasta luego.¨

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

Miranda! It's so good to hear an update! I am thinking about you! ~Heidi

4:55 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Glad to hear you arrived safely, Miranda! I'm looking forward to seeing Eucador through your eyes! What did you think of your twin nieces swinging at the park? Weren't they just precious? THAT giggle was something! Stay well and we'll be checking back on your blog to see how things are going!
Lou Stevens

7:50 p. m.  
Blogger Conni H. said...

Miranda,
We are glad that you have arrived safely and that the laptop is working! HOORAY! I am sure that your mom and dad are glad to read that you in the safest part of town- we are glad too. It sounds like God has prepared a great path for you in Ecuador, and I am glad that you are loving it so far. God is good.

I am glad that you are writing! Keep us posted about how things are going. We are praying for you!

-Jason & Conni

8:55 p. m.  
Blogger Becky said...

We're glad you're there safely! Thanks for the updates... I can't wait to hear about all of your adventures!!

9:19 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Glad you decided to write even though no pic's. I love you, Kiss,Kiss
Aunt Rit

11:37 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

We can't wait to see some pictures! We're so glad you arrived safely and are settling in well! It's great talking to you on Skype--how spoiled we are by the technology that's available to us! We love you Miranda!

1:54 p. m.  
Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

So good to read your update and know that the flight and relocation has gone well for you. We will chalk that one up to answered prayers. We look forward to seeing Equador through your blog.

God bless,

5:33 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Miranda - I am so thankful you are there safely. You have been in my prayers (along with all the family) especially after the passing on of your grandmother. Talk about a special lady - my, how we all loved and respected, appreciated her, and now will miss her very much. How wonderful though to know we'll see her again! I will look forward to checking in on you and hearing of your great adventures. You, Miranda, have always been special to me. Love you, Phyllis Haynes

8:51 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Hey love,
How wonderful Quito sounds! I'm thinking of you all the time and wishing I was with you! Besos from the states!
--Emma

9:11 p. m.  
Blogger TheGlissonFamily said...

As you know, we have a few responsibilities now, but we love to travel vicariously through you! Keep us updated!!! PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES!!! I just say that because you have always hounded me about it...seriously, be safe and enjoy every minute. P.S. your sister hopes to talk to you soon. Love, the Glissons

10:25 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Hey Beatiful Mrnderwear! (My fellow South American)

I hope that your travels have found you well. I was cleaning our apartment today and thinking about Kirkwood girls for some reason and I realized that I hadn't checked your blog since you made it.

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. I know thats so little to say and the wrong thing to say all at the same time. . .but I really am.

I cannot wait to hear more about your adventures in Equador. Maybe some day we will meet in the middle somewhere...

3:17 p. m.  
Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

O.K. Miranda Panda....It is time for an update to your blog! Inquiring minds want to know. :-)
Pictures are really good! Your public demands more!

Mr. Brad

9:57 p. m.  
Blogger John Barrie said...

Hi-

My family stayed at The Secret Garden in 2004 - 2005. We had a really great time, the family style dining, great view and really great staff made our stay very memorable.

Are there any photos of folks there at the end of 2004 ish? Staff took our photos on new years, we lost our camera and a lot of photos.

Anyway hope your stay there is as good as our was.

jsbarrie@yahoo.com

12:07 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home


Web Site Counter