08 octubre 2006

Twenty-four in Ecuador

Yesterday was my birthday and as you can see from the pictures there was a lot of celebrating. It was good to be with friends. The party was in celebration of a few different birthdays so the hype wasnt just for me. There was a bbq on the terrace of the Secret Garden and I ate so much food! It was delicious. The two cooks are seen in the last picture with me. As is with most Ecuadorians, I tower above them, so they had to stand on chairs to get a picture with me. The flower was a gift from Sandra, the one on the left. Today (in about two hours) Im moving to my new home. Im really excited to get settled there and be speaking Spanish all the time. I still havent finalized any new English classes, but this week Ill have more time to find students.
Above is my friend Raphaella, from Austrailian, and me. Raph and her boyfriend, Jordie are new volunteers for the month of October.
I dont think we ate half of the food prepared. I couldnt even fit the whole spread in one picture. Below is Al, from Switzerland, and me. Al has been in Quito for nine months and he goes back in December.Here the chicas. These women are so much fun. At times they act like fourteen year olds instead of twenty nine year olds, but they are really great. And they know how to cook. I have been eating so well this past month. Probably too well. Good thing there are five flights of stairs at the hostel so I can get some exercise in! Sandra is on the left and Maria Fernanda is on the right. Sandra is my connection to the family that Im living with. She always says, "Mirandita, mi favorita." Thats about it. Im going to pack everything together to make the move. Hasta luego desde Ecuador.

10 Comments:

Blogger Conni H. said...

Happy Birthday Miranda! I hope that you are having a great time, and it sounds like you are! The food looks great- Please send (or at least) bring back a few Ecuadorian recipes for us!

You remain in our prayers.
Happy Birthday!

1:57 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

My sweet daughter, It was so wonderful to talk with you yesterday on your birthday. If we couldn't be together in person, it was at least good to talk to you and see you on Skype! Oh, the wonders of modern technology! I'm so glad you had a good birthday with your new friends and how nice to see pictures! I like what Sandra calls you--I may adopt it--Mirandita my favorita!! I love you!

2:32 p. m.  
Blogger TheGlissonFamily said...

Dawn,
It was so good to talk to you on your birthday--it sounds like you had a great time! I'm glad you were able to celebrate your birthday with your new friends. Hope moving in to your new home goes well.
love you, Bek

3:49 p. m.  
Blogger hannah said...

Happy Birthday Miranda!! I'm sure you'll always remember your bday in Quito- that looks awesome. So glad you're enjoying yourself and found a trusty family already. I was actually at your house last night sitting while your neices were sleeing, and the rest of your family could go out for the night. They showed me your computer phone hookup, and I was actually hoping it might ring so I could suprise answer the phone! Doesn't seem that far away after all! Eat more yummy food for all of us, and don't forget to cheer for the Cardinals :)

8:22 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Happy Birthday!!!! Miranda, The foods looks amazing. Soak it all in and keep safe

Neill and Mary Ann

9:48 p. m.  
Blogger Becky said...

Happy Birthday Miranda! So glad all is going well! You look great!

10:09 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Hi little one! Glad you had a fun birthday. Have you found a safe place to fun? You probably haven't even had time. Wish I could jog through the streets of Quito with you. Take care! Love you and pray for you! Kiss, kiss

7:02 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

What I meant to say was have you found a safe place to run? I'm sure you've found places for fun!!!

7:03 a. m.  
Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

A belated Happy Birthday to Miranda Panda! Great post and pictures! Watching your journey from afar makes us miss you all the more. But, we are so thankful for blogs that allows us to stay in touch. Winter is coming here. Your warm weather looks so inviting! Thanks for keeping us posted. You are in our prayers!

God bless,

7:05 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Katie and I miss you. That's all. That and we love you. ~Heidi

9:32 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home


Web Site Counter