31 agosto 2006

My Grams


As you can see from my previous post, I was supposed to leave for Quito, Ecuador tomorrow morning. Today, however, my plans have changed. My grama was taken to the hospital where she eventually passed away. Many of you knew her personally or at least met her and so you know how special she was.

After my grandpa died (the summer before I was born) my parents asked her to come live with our family. She pretty much was a second mom to me.

My mind is swirling with thoughts and emotions right now--sadness to never see her smile again or smell her fresh bread baking in the oven, but also happiness to know that she is exactly where she wants to be. She is not sick anymore. She is with God. That is amazing to me. She turned 92 this past summer, but no one would have thought she was that age from the way she lived. She went out dancing. Literally. At my aunt and uncle's 50th anniversary this summer she danced with all of her daughters. That was one of her favorite things to do. Her life was one of celebration and I know that if she saw how sad we are right now she would say, "Oh, don't make such a fuss over me!" I love her and miss her, but I am happy that her life was one of joy and that she is even more full of joy in her new life.

As for my plans, I have changed my departure date to next Wednesday. She would want me to go on with my trip, so I will, but I am taking some extra time to process things and be with family. So keep checking back for updates after next Wednesday.

10 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, but happy for her as she is exactly where she has longed to be... you expressed everything perfectly! She was an AMAZING lady who truly lived a life of joy, and I know you are proud to be her grand-daughter. Lots of love and peace to you and your family.

6:58 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Although we now live in Houston, TX., during our many visits to St. Louis over the years, we were able to meet and greet your wonderful grandmother. She was SO young for her age! She was also a dear friend of my mother (Opal Thompson) who died on 4/22/1996 at the age of 87. Mother only had kind words to say about "Miss Gin" and we found her warm and loving when we visited McKnight. She will be missed, but what a blessing she was to everyone! Love, Lou & Lad Stevens
P.S. We are Brad's parents, if you don't remember us :-)

9:56 p. m.  
Blogger Keith Jones said...

Miranda, I was so stunned to hear about your grandmother. I loved her very much. I know you will miss her but I hope you can see how much of her is in you. she was an amazing woman and she had a huge role in making you amazing too.

2:01 p. m.  
Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

What a legacy of faith and knowledge of how to live life your gramma has left with you. You were very special to her, as were all of her grandchildren (and great-grandchildren!) I am so glad to know that she will be in heaven to greet the rest of us someday when we all of God's children get to go home. I am looking forward to dancing with her someday.

11:11 p. m.  
Blogger Conni H. said...

Miranda- I am sorry for your loss, but like you, am so happy that Miss Gin has gone home to be with God. I am praying for you and your family as you remember the good times, and face the loss of such a wonderful woman, who had such a great impact in your lives. She will be missed by many. I look forward to seeing her again someday.

Please keep us updated on your travels. We will keep lifted before the Father while you are away.

8:32 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Mrn, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother passing away but glad that you sound so at peace about it. Hope everything's going well with the Ecuador prep and you have safe travels.
Love Kelsey

3:32 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Miranda! Tomorrow's the day! I love you and can't wait to hear about your many adventures! ~Heidi

7:24 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Hey Mir,
i got your message, im glad that you got off ok. No word yet on what date ill be leaving, hopefully in a little less than a month. I have a phone number for you to call my missionaries there...but im late for work now, so ill have to root around for it later...ill be praying for you and your fam, i love you!
until we are together in quito--
Megan

9:39 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Sweetie--thanks for your wonderful memorial to mom! She loved you SO much!!

1:57 p. m.  
Blogger Amanda Tate said...

mrn mrn. alison told you about my gma, sorry to hear about it. i'll miss the frozen oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. i mean, already do. my gpa actually passed away 2 days after your gma, so i was right there with you. i'm glad you got to ecuador and it's cool. i'm in denver and keeping busy. love you, keep in touch!

11:36 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home


Web Site Counter