12 noviembre 2006

Los Marcum

One of the reasons I decided to come to Quito was because of a connection that my parents have here. A friend of theirs from college, Sharla Marcum, and her husband Kent have been living in Quito for the past twenty years. They helped to start the North Quito Church of Christ that today has over three hundred members. The Marcums have a beautiful home in a valley twenty minutes outside of the city. They own a fair amount of land with a fishing pond, three dogs and two horses. I had the priviledge to stay at thier home last week for a night.During my stay I was able to enjoy a few pleasures from the States, including speaking in English, eating homemade chocolate chip cookies (sadly, these are scarce in Ecuador), watching Direct TV while laying on a comfy couch in warm house (the Marcums have a fireplace and heaters in some of the rooms--very rare in Ecuador!). Sharla and I went to the newest and largest mall in Quito (comparable to a medium-sized US mall) and did a little shopping. She also took me to get a manicure while she got her haircut (when I told my Ecuadorian family that I had paid $3 for the manicure they shook their heads and said I had been ripped off. "The place I go to is only $0.50 or $1," Magui told me). Other than physical comforts it was great to hear the Marcums' story and talk about Sharla's friendship with my parents in college. I also told them a little bit about what I had done before Ecuador. The Marcums are truly self-less people who love God more than anything else. Their home is not extravagant, but rather it was planned with hospitality in mind. Last Wednesday Sharla invited me along with over thirty women from the church to have breakfast at their home. She prepared wonderful food for everyone and I had a chance to get to know more people from the church. Their home is always open for people to come and visit. They are so encouraging and giving. Apart from their own three children (who are all grown and married), the Marcums have an adopted son, James, who is from Ecuador. He is 10 years old and has been with the Marcums since he was 8 months old. He has some physical disabilities and Sharla has been homeschooling him for the past few years. I've been talking with the Marcums about some possible volunteer opportunities that I can participate with during my time here. There is an orphanage connected with the church and also some church members that have started a drug rehabilitation program. I'm not sure what is in my future here, but I feel very blessed to have the Marcums as friends here in Quito.I think that just about sums it up. Thanks again for reading. ¡Hasta luego!





6 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

Miranda - Thanks for sharing your experience with the Marcum's. We have so many fond memories of Sharla at York College back in the 70's. What a joy it is that you can be so close and to get to know them as you all serve our gracious God in Ecuador. We look forward to seeing you all in the New Year. Love you sweet girl.

2:43 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

How it warms my heart to know that a dear friend from the past is welcoming you in such a wonderful way! Our visit will be a great reunion with you and the Marcums! God is so good! I love you and miss your sweet hugs!

11:37 p. m.  
Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

Nice to know you have a little refuge available to you if needed! It makes all us old people feel better about you being there! We will miss having you around to cheer for Kirkwood on Turkey Day when Webster will upset them! :-)

12:19 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Hi Sweetie! I can't believe I haven't checked your blog lately! I missed a wonderful story. Sharla had such a crush on your Dad! She is a sweet lady and I'm so glad you've gotten to know her and her family. I know they would do anything for you! Have a happy Thanksgiving! We sure will miss you babe!! We will say a special prayer for you at our table! Kiss,Kiss!

7:32 a. m.  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Miranda,
I think I may know that family...do they have a son named Josh that went to York? If it's the same Marcum family, they truly are good people. Blessings!

8:46 p. m.  
Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

Just to keep you posted, Kirkwood lost its football game to Raymond Peculiar for the state championship. And, Webster's junior varsity beat Kirkwood in the Turkey Day game to keep the bell. For those who don't know what we are talking about see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_Day_Game

OK, now it is your turn for an update!

7:10 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home


Web Site Counter