31 mayo 2007

Visitantes de Los Estados

Last week I took some time off of school to go to the beach. But as you will soon see, I have no pictures of the beach because it rained the whole two days I was there, so I left. Instead, I went to the rain forest with my friend Megan and her family who was visiting. It was definitely a great alternative to what I had originally planned. In the rain forest, we hung ourselves on a 300 meter cable, 400 ft. above the ground. And then we zipped across at nearly 50 miles an hour. Pretty crazy, but pretty amazing too.
After spending time traveling and sightseeing with Megan's family, I headed back to Tabacundo to be a part of a medical campaign from the United States. A group of about 40 people (including doctors, dentists and nurses) came to our town for a couple days to give free health care and medication to the residents in surrounding areas.
I was able to help out by translating which was a fun and important position. I had never done anything like it before and it was a little nerve-racking at times because I had to be very sure of what the people told me about their medical problems.


Everyone worked very hard and the first day we saw over 450 patients.



During the campaign, I saw and learned many new things including, a ruptured eardrum, how to tell if someone is anemic by looking at their eyes, and an astonishing number of children with no appetite (most likely due to parasites). It was great being able to be a part of this mission and see how many people were helped and through the free health care.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

What a blessing to be able to translate for doctors so they know how to help people! You've been diligent in learning Spanish and I'm sure God will continue to use your language skills once you get back to the USA! I can hardly wait! One week from tomorrow!I love you!!

3:22 p. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Miranda,
I just have to tell you that you are amazing. I am in awe of what you do everyday and blab about all you are doing to my friends. I just think you are super cool!!!
I love you!!!! Take care, Sunny

9:25 a. m.  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Ministry can be really fun and rewarding! Glad you had the chance to do it.

12:24 p. m.  
Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

We are looking forward to celebrating with you and your family upon your return to St. Louis. Looking at you zipping across the rain forest at 50 mph made me think, "Yep, there goes Miranda!" You are an amazing child of the Lord. I see a glimpse of your grandmother Gin's spunk in you. Your acts of service in the cause of the kingdom are a great example to us all. We are proud of you!

4:17 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home


Web Site Counter