03 mayo 2007

Lindo Mindo

Speaking of small worlds, I have a perfect example. Two months ago my friend Megan, from college, came to Quito, Ecuador to live and work here for six months. I was aware that she was coming but our trip were completely separate. Another friend of ours from Truman, Neil, was traveling through South America and stopped for a few days in Quito and Tabacundo to hang out. Then, just two weeks ago, I found out that another girl from Truman, Emily, has been living in Quito, teaching English, since October. I had no idea that she was here! So last weekend Megan, Emily, and I took a short vacation together to a great little town called Mindo. It's one of Emily's favorite places and had been on my list of towns to visit.
Mindo is special becuase although it is only two hours West of Quito, in the mountain region, there is a low growth rainforest that makes the climate warmer. This area is home to hundreds of species of birds including hundreds of species of hummingbirds. Over the course of her time in Ecuador, Emily has made many friends in the tiny town of Mindo. One of her good friends is the owener of a beautiful hostel. Another friend is an adventure guide. So we were all able to take advantage of her friendships with these people and really enjoy our time.

This is Emily, Javier, Megan and I hiking through the hills of Mindo. Below is the hostel where we stayed--complete with hammocks overlooking the bird garden.


Breakfast was accompanied by the sound of hundreds of fluttering hummingbird wings.
Mindo is full of bird experts. I learned that in the continetal US there are 9 species of hummingbirds. In Ecuador (the size of Colorado), there are around 100.


Mindo is not only a great place to relax, but it's also a great place to have an adventure. If whitewater rafting is quite risky enough for you, you should try out whitewater tubing...

All this for only $2.50.


It was a fun weekend and I hope to go back to Mindo before I head home. But next time I think I'll try the zip line through the rainforest canopy.

3 Comments:

Blogger TheGlissonFamily said...

Mindo looks like a beautiful place. I'm so glad you had friends to experience it with. I can't imagine seeing so many hummingbirds at one time--I bet it was awesome. And the hammocks look great too. It was good to talk to you the other night.
Love you,
Bek

1:01 p. m.  
Blogger Tiffany said...

I love the look of that hostel. I'm so jealous of your adventures; what fun! The sound of hummingbirds in the morning beat out most any other sound I can think of waking up to.
Tiff
www.namastechild.blogspot.com

5:15 p. m.  
Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

I love your posts Miranda! Hannah and I were sitting at the kitchen table this evening eating a late dinner. (Sue still has not made it home...she works harder than the rest of us!) And, right in front of the picture window a very small dark humming bird stopped and checked out the flowers on the table on the patio. I don't think I have ever seen this kind in our backyard before? Of course, the only kind I recognize are the ruby throated ones we see in the summer. It made me wonder if some of your hummingbirds were migrating also? Thanks for sharing your adventures!

Grace and Peace,

7:55 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home


Web Site Counter